Shared ownership housing benefit may apply to different elements of your shared ownership.
You may not be able to claim any housing benefit if any of the below apply though:
- are a full-time student but there are exceptions
- don’t meet immigration and residence conditions
- live with a close family member who you pay rent to
- are supported by social services as a care leaver while you’re under 18
- have savings above £16,000 – unless you get pension credit guarantee
The elements of which shared ownership housing benefits or benefits apply to include:
- Mortgage interest
In the case of your mortgage, you may be able to claim support for mortgage interest as a benefit on your mortgage. You can also claim help for your mortgage through Pension Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit.