Shared ownership properties don’t necessary have so many more restrictions than normal mortgages or lease agreements. They have a few but in most cases these restrictions are understandable.

Yes but you must ensure you inform your local council if you want your partner to be liable for the council tax and you must also inform your shared ownership provider.

You should ensure your partner does not pay for the mortgage, rent or anything that has to do with the property if not they may be able to prove in court that they had some interest in the property.

In some cases, the mortgage lender might require any cohabitants to sign an exclusion agreement stating that they are not a party to the mortgage.

John Bate

John has 22 years of experience in financial services. This spans across financial research, financial services (As a qualified mortgage broker and underwriter), financial trading and sales at global investment banks. While working as a publishing research analyst, he covered European bank credit and advised institutional clients on investment strategies at both JP Morgan and Societe Generale. John has passed all three levels of the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) programme.