In this brief guide, we are going to discuss the RBS mortgage tracker, its benefits and how to get an RBS mortgage.
What is the RBS mortgage tracker?
The RBS mortgage tracker is a mortgage application tracking service provided by RBS mortgages. You can find the RBS mortgage tracker here.
The RBS mortgage tracker allows you to track your RBS mortgage application online at any time of the day.
- To be able to use the RBS mortgage tracker you will need to have applied for a fixed or tracker rate mortgage with RBS and your RBS mortgage application was submitted at least 48 hours ago.
- You will need to use your RBS mortgage application reference number which you can find on the mortgage offer letter or your RBS mortgage confirmation email. With this information, you can then login and use the RBS mortgage tracker.
Use a government scheme
If you are considering getting an RBS mortgage then you may also want to consider using a Government scheme which could potentially reduce the price of the property or increase the mortgage deposit.
You can check if you are eligible for these government schemes by using a government scheme eligibility calculator.
Some of these government schemes include:
- Lifetime ISA– gives you a government bonus of £1,000 if you save the maximum £4,000 a year.
- Help to buy ISA– gives a maximum bonus us £3,000 if you save the maximum allowed of £12,000. Before you get either you should consider which is better. Lifetime ISA vs Help to buy ISA.
- Help to buy equity loan- gives you up to 40% as a 5-year interest-free equity loan. You begin to pay interest at 1.75 % after the fifth year and 1% plus RPI for every year thereafter.
- Shared ownership- You can buy between 25% to 75% of the property initially with a shared ownership mortgage and then buy more using a staircasing mortgage.
- Armed forces help to buy- similar to the help to buy equity loan but specific for the armed forces personnel giving them an increased chance of acceptance.
- Rent to buy- This is the right to buy scheme on which this guide is currently discussing. A different marketing name is just used. Watch out for this when shopping to avoid missing out on eligible properties due to confusion.
- Right to buy- allows you to buy your home at a discount price.
- Preserved right to buy- same as above.
- Right to acquire- same as above.
Depending on where you live, you may also be able to take advantage of home buying schemes provided by your local council. Example: In Norwich, the local councils provide the Norwich home options scheme.
Thinking of an RBS mortgage? Use a mortgage broker
Mortgage brokers are important as they can access mortgage products from across the whole of the market in some cases.
This could be over 11,000 mortgage products. This may have some advantages rather than going directly to a mortgage lender.
A mortgage broker will look to understand your financial circumstances and then provide recommendations on which mortgage products may be suitable for you based on your mortgage affordability.
After giving you these mortgage recommendations, most mortgage brokers will seek your consent to apply for a mortgage in principle.
This will allow you to shop for your home easier as more estate agents and sellers may take you seriously or it will give you confidence that your mortgage is indeed a possibility before you make a full mortgage application.
Once you have found a home you want to buy and are satisfied with the mortgage offer for your mortgage then the mortgage broker will then look to get you a mortgage offer.
This will come with a key facts illustration document which details out the features of your mortgage including how much you will pay per month.
It will also contain information on if there are any limits such as early repayment fees, or annual overpayment limits.
If you are happy with everything you can then go on to secure your mortgage with the help of a conveyancer.
Your conveyancer will manage the legal searches on the property to ensure there aren’t any issues with it.
They will oversee the sales agreement to ensure it is in your best interest, they will manage the transfer of mortgage funds, exchange contracts with the seller or their conveyancer and set a completion date with the seller or their conveyancer.
In this brief guide, we discussed the RBS mortgage tracker, its benefits and how to get an RBS mortgage.
If you have any questions or comments please let us know.